Sunday 17 June 2012

Pages 1049-1060

I cant believe how little the student revolution is featured in this book, i had to read 71 fucking pages about a bishop but an actual important historical event is barely featured......Fuck You Victor Hugo!

This is the end for the students now, most of them have been killed and the revolution looks to be a complete failure, Combeferre gets shot and Courfeyrac gets bayoneted to death, Marius is seriously wounded and Enjolras is the only one who has survived so far unharmed, the other lad i mentioned earlier Grantaire has slept through this entire thing because he got totally shit faced the night before. OK.........WHAT was he drinking??? How the hell did he not wake up during this entire thing, I've had my share of hangovers in the past but i can assure you that if there was a revolution happening outside my window i would have woken up! What the crap was in the stuff he was drinking? Was he drinking pure rohypnol?

Anyway....... when the barricades finally fall and the army gets the upper hand the rest of the students decide to just leg it, Marius who is too badly wounded to run away is saved by Valjean who decides to flee in to the sewers......ewwwwwwww! I'll get to that in my next post though.

Enjolras is cornered in a tavern and having no other option he decides to die by firing squad, but not before Grantaire, who has FINALLY woken up (Seriously, was he drinking turpentine???) decides to die with him. This is actually a really noble gesture on his part and it's actually a really sad part of the book, i don't think these boys ever really had a chance at succeeding with their revolution so for these last two boys to die hand in hand is really quite touching. At least they tried though, at least they tried to make their deaths mean something.

I'd like to get serious for a minute if i may, (don't worry it wont happen again) One of the reasons i wanted to read Les Miserables was because i wanted to know more about this student revolution, I really admire anyone who decides to fight for what they believe in so i was really attracted to that part of the story.
It is one of my deepest desires in life to die for something i believe in, why? i don't know, maybe i just want my life to have meant something instead of the pointless waste that it is, it's one of the reasons i tried to join the army when i was younger. To die for something that you believe in is the only way to achieve true immortality, everyone will remember you if your death means something to the world and i want that more than anything.

Unfortunately i don't really believe in anything, except for maybe the whole being gay thing, I'm not sure if it's worth dieing for though. I swear if someone asked me to die for it and if i knew that it would mean something good in the end then i totally would.
The main problem though is that no one has revolutions anymore, they may think they do but all people do now is riot and destroy things just so they can steal new TVs and get fancy new shoes for free, at least that's what they do in England anyway, i cant speak for the rest of the world. That kind of behaviour isn't even worth talking about let alone worth dieing for.
The modern world sucks! nobody does anything that's worthwhile anymore, everyones just lazy and angry. Back when this book was written if you fought for your beliefs it actually meant something, nothing anyone does means anything anymore, i really hate this world sometimes.

Somehow i don't think I'm ever gonna get my chance to die for what i believe in.

Sorry if i got too serious there, this blog was meant to be light hearted but this is something i really do believe in so i wanted to mention it.

Here's a picture of a hippopotamus to balance everything out again.

I like hippopotamuses, they're my favourite animals after unicorns and cats.

1 comment:

  1. God. I feel like 80% of this post in my soul. I was going to elaborate on that, but I'd just be waxing poetic for no reason. :/

    ReplyDelete