Friday 20 July 2012

New Book!

So i bought a copy of Victor Hugo's other great novel this week....


I also bought a new translation of Les Miserables, just for fun! (Wow i never thought i would find reading fun!) I don't know if I'll like this book as much as Les Mis though, i don't really think the plot will appeal to me as much as as the other book, I'll give it a go though. Maybe I'll even blog about it here, it's called Fuck you Victor Hugo so it's not like I'm only allowed to talk about Les Mis.


I'd heard of the book Notre Dame De Paris before but until i read Les Miserables i had no idea that Victor Hugo had written it. It's as if Les Miserables was so epic that any other works he did were eclipsed by it.

In fact it's as if Les Miserables is the American Pie of novels.

Let me explain what i mean by that in case you're confused.

Once when i was a kid i heard the song American Pie somewhere and i liked it so i asked my mother who wrote it, she told me it was written by Don McLean then she went on to explain how he was this guy who wrote one really amazing song that everyones heard of and he also wrote a bunch of other songs that no one remembers. And really American Pie is a fucking epic song, the full uncut version is 8:33 minutes long which is pretty long for a song, and every verse is so great and the whole song is so awesome and perfect.


Which is why i like to compare it to Les Miserables, everyones heard of Les Mis! it's the perfect novel, it's so epic and grand and completely perfect, why would Victor Hugo even need to write another novel after something as amazing as that? It's the same with Don McLean, why even write another song after American Pie? It's a perfect song!

That's why i think Les Miserables is the American Pie of novels, actually since Les Mis came first i should say that American Pie is the Les Miserables of songs.
I know it's an odd comparison and doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the blog, but i just wanted to mention it because i think it's kinda cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment